Se Habla Español
Nói Tiếng Việt
Se Habla Español
Experiencing Vision Problems After a Traumatic Brain Injury? Vision Therapy May Relieve Your Symptoms
Headaches, nausea, confusion, and difficulty concentrating aren't the only long-lasting effects of a traumatic brain injury (TBI). Vision problems can also occur after head trauma. Fortunately, vision therapy offers an effective way to relieve TBI vision symptoms.
A TBI Can Cause These Vision Problems
Vision issues are particularly common following a brain injury. In fact, 90 percent of people who've had a TBI develop problems with their vision after a brain injury, according to the American Optometric Association. Even a mild TBI can injure the parts of your brain that control visual perception, processing, memory, and input.
After a concussion or another TBI, you may be more likely to experience these vision problems:
Vision Therapy Offers a Solution for TBI-Related Vision Problems
Your brain may need a little retraining after a TBI. During sessions with your vision therapist, you'll participate in a variety of activities, exercises, and games designed to strengthen and improve the connection between the eyes and the brain and help your brain correctly process and interpret the information it receives from your eyes. Your therapy may also involve special lenses and aides that make it easier to read or write.
Vision therapy may reverse or improve temporary vision changes or help you develop strategies to compensate for permanent changes. The therapy offers an effective way to treat many vision problems caused by TBI.
Vision therapy for convergence insufficiency, one of the most common complaints after a TBI, was successful for 85 percent of patients in one research study. According to the study that was published in Optometry and Vision Science, the remaining 15 percent noted some improvement in their symptoms.
Vision therapy provides a natural way to improve vision symptoms after a TBI. If you're tired of living with vision problems caused by your injury, contact our office to schedule an appointment.